Millions of women around the world wear high-heeled shoes and just love it, they are willing to spend a fortune on a new pair of shoes and with a smile to endure the pain that occurs when wearing them. But, as with many other fashion follies of bygone days, the researchers found that many weaknesses – they proved that wearing shoes with high heels, even for a relatively short period of time can have a serious impact on the body.
Scientists claim that the gait of young women who wear heels more than 40 hours in a week (even when they wear shoes with low heels), very different from the gait of women who do not wear shoes with heels. In the future this leads to injuries and foot deformities.
The impact of shoes with high heels on the feet
The high-heeled shoes, of course, has a huge impact on the foot. Wearing such shoes carries harmful effects on the feet, which in the future may result in persistent pain or even the need for surgical treatment. Over time, shoes with high heels or shoes with narrow or pointed toe box may cause:
Bursitis of the big toe
- Bursitis of the big toe bone growths that appear around the base of the thumb, and provoke him bending towards the other toes, which can cause pain;
- Corn is a thickened area of skin that usually appears after prolonged friction. Over time, blisters can cause pain, often appear together with bursitis of the big toe;
Molokopodobnye finger – this condition occurs when the end of the finger, often the second, is bent downward due to wearing tight and uncomfortable shoes, which leads to deformation. This condition can be corrected only by using medical devices or surgery;
- Morton’s neuroma is damage to the nerves in the region of the shank, which leads to thickening of the tissues, and then to pain and numbness. Often to relieve symptoms it is necessary to resort to surgical intervention to remove a piece of tissue;
- Bump: the technical name for this condition is Haglund’s deformity.. Is a bony growth on the heel that appears as a result of constant friction and pressure, solid heel cap and straps of high heel shoes. The only way to cure this condition is surgical, which involves the removal of excess bone tissue;
- Metatarsalgia is a painful inflammation of the heads of the metatarsal bones of the foot as a result of constant pressure on metatarsalgia bones, which are located between the toes and instep of the stupa.
Wearing high heel shoes increases the risk of ankle injuries because it affects the balance: the higher the heel or platform, the higher the risk.
Women of small stature with short legs and small feet becomes much more difficult to walk. When walking in shoes with high heel gait they have varies greatly, unlike the cases when they wear shoes with flat heels, because, thanks to the heels, their height increases significantly, and, therefore, they have to balance that often leads to the risk of falls and consequently to strain, sprains and fractures of the ankle.
The impact of shoes with high heels on her feet and knees
Wearing high-heeled shoes affect the feet and knees. Of course, shoes with high heels visually lengthens the legs and improves their shape, but it may provoke the emergence of some serious problems that cause difficulty with walking, even if You wear shoes with flat heel.
- Achilles tendon: the wearing of high heel shoes cause a significant reduction in the Achilles tendon that after a relatively short period of time can cause serious problems with walking, because this tendon is responsible for cushioning the foot; this function assume the calf muscles that can cause injury;
- Calf muscles: as in the case of Achilles tendon wearing high heel shoes causes contraction of the soleus and gastrocnemius muscles. Over time, this can lead to the rigidity of the calf muscles that will cause pain when wearing shoes with high heels;
- The knees: high heels greatly increase the pressure on the knees, especially the inner portion, it is most often develops osteoarthritis in women. One study showed that the pressure on the knee joint increased by 26%, which is a significant figure, taking into account power, which is already affected by the knee joint.
The impact of the Shoe with a high heel to the hips and spine Wearing high-heeled shoes changes mechanics of the whole body, resulting in larger body parts need to balance to avoid falling. Despite the fact that You look like may well, a state of altered body mechanics can cause a deformity of the hip and spine.
High heels cause the pelvis to protrude, increasing the lumbar curve and causing the bulge of the buttocks. This can create significant pressure on the lumbar, which in the future may lead to problems with the spine. Suffering is hip, because calf muscles while wearing shoes with high heels do not work as effectively without it, and therefore some part of load to adopt for itself, the hip muscle. Over time this can cause damage to the small muscles around the hip joints, which are responsible for normal gait.
Below we provide some tips for those who still do not want to abandon high heel shoes.
How can we reduce potential harm of high heels to a minimum:
- Limit the wearing of high heel shoes to 2-3 times a week. If this is not possible, try to shoot them as often as possible, for example, sitting at the table;
- When You sit, try to frequently bend and straighten the legs, so You can help the calf muscles stay in shape;
- Prefer wedgies, not heels-stilettos because the wedge heel provides the best support for Your feet;
- Better to buy shoes at the end of the day, because feet swell slightly during the day, so they’re a little increase in size that will give You a more comfortable fit.
Of course, the high-heel shoes makes Your legs slender and attractive. However with frequent wearing, it can provoke the emergence of serious problems. So we advise You to wear high heels only on holidays; give preference to more comfortable shoes that will provide the best support for Your feet, which will positively affect the whole body.