The human body can be compared to a car: from time to time he needs a checkup at the doctor visits, from time to time the necessary repairs — treatment, sometimes even replacing the “parts” — prosthetics. And if time does not apply to the master — the doctor, “the machine”-people can come into disrepair, and she was sent to the scrap — disability.
One of the main parts of the human body is the spine. We can say that it holds everything. And it’s hard to find someone in my life never been faced with back problems. There are lots from degenerative disc disease and scoliosis to herniated intervertebral. Today my attention will stop on the last disease that affects the so-called “shock absorbers” of the spine — the discs located between the vertebrae and protect them from destruction.
Where is the beginning of an intervertebral hernia?
To begin to understand: what is intervertebral hernia and how it looks? According to experts, nothing surprising in the fact that the disease it most often affects the lumbar spine, no. The fact that it accounts for the greatest burden, and accordingly the load on the discs between the vertebrae. The scheme of occurrence of a hernia as follows: first purposee the nucleus of the disc swells and increases in size, then shrinks, which causes the flattening of the disk. This is followed by the protrusion of the fibrous ring, it crack, there are gaps through which the nucleus can seep out into the cavity of the spinal canal, where “creates” one of the most dangerous diseases – hernia.
There are several factors that contribute to the emergence of so-called “broken disks”:
- back injury (for example, if you slipped and fell in the winter, or you hit hard on the lower back). Often the diagnosis of “intervertebral hernia of lumbar Department” put the victims of the accident, and the first symptoms appear only after 1.5-3 years after the unfortunate accident;
- sudden movements, turns;
- carrying heavy items (especially of intervertebral hernia of lumbar Department are subject to the representatives of those professions which are directly linked to the weight — loaders, collectors, postmen etc.);
- sedentary lifestyle (often sitting at a computer or standing behind the machine). Here the crucial role in the appearance of a hernia may play a weakness (no physical activity): first, there is common and familiar to almost all low back pain, then it develops into a hernia;
- bad habits. So, addiction to tobacco affects the blood saturation of oxygen: there is not enough oxygen – no vitally important elements in the discs of the spine. Improper diet (abuse of junk food, fried or salty food) and excessive coffee drinking also impairs blood circulation.
The symptoms of intervertebral hernia. When you need to go to the doctor?
Contact need to see a doctor when the first symptoms. The primary is, of course, pain in the lumbar region. Moreover, during physical exercise (sports, running, working in the garden), sneezing, prolonged standing or sitting it is increasing. The pain is dull, aching in nature. In this case, only the rest in the lying position, this symptom disappears. However, there are observable consequences: due to the fact that the most comfortable position – bent back, broken posture, appears stooped posture, imbalance of the trunk to one side, lost the stability in movement, gait changes.
In addition, pain of the lumbar region may move to other parts of the body such as limbs. This symptom indicates an increase in the hernia. And here is changing not only the location of the pain, but also its character: it becomes a sudden firing.
There are other “signals: numbness, which can affect both legs; muscle weakness, lowering their tone; difficulty of movement, and in consequence at all – paralysis.
How to cure intervertebral hernia?
Of course, it is easier to cope with intervertebral hernia of lumbar Department at the initial stage. Here you can manage the conservative treatment, without surgery. So, first and foremost recommend an increase in mobility, for example, with the help of physical therapy. Exercise selection alone is not worth it, they should appoint a specialist, and do them well, you need only under the supervision of a professional.
The second step anti-inflammatory treatmentinvolving the administration of drugs that reduce pain, measured rest (particularly in bed), steroid injections.
Last resort to surgical intervention. Don’t be afraid. Surgery on intervertebral hernia lumbar represents the removal only of that part of the disc that affects the nerve and compresses it, thereby causing unbearable pain.
So, you need to remember a few rules that will help to prevent tragic consequences:
- protect your back from unnecessary strain, which can “break” such an important “part” as the spine;
- timely visit to the doctor, if still did not save back, and choose the treatment based on the severity of the disease;
- rely on a doctor, do not self-medicate. Only the doctor knows which treatment is appropriate for you and will have an effect.
Do not turn your back this insidious enemy, as intervertebral hernia. Always be on the alert.