Fatigue, drowsiness, fatigue. This happens from time to time with each of us. The key word here is “from time to time.” And if this obsessive fatigue he does not want to go? Perhaps you are a victim of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). For the first time this syndrome was first described in 1988. I deliberately do not say “disease” because CFS is not gold, and in the international classification of diseases ICD-10, you won’t find him.
You will not find and reasonable from the position of evidence-based medicine describe the etiology and pathogenesis of CFS. This partly explains the reluctance of the world health organization to consider chronic fatigue syndrome as a separate disease. However, the common people that does not help: the disease CFS or not, and suffer an increasing number of people, mostly female, ranging in age from 20 to 50 years. CFS — permanent “guest” of large towns and cities. The number of patients suffering from chronic fatigue syndrome, a higher proportion of persons in the responsible work of entrepreneurs.
In simple (non-medical) language, CFS is a “bouquet” of symptoms characterized by long-lasting fatigue, from which you cannot get rid of, including medication. To rightly be called “CFS”, the last is a disgusting state is at least six months and accompanied by multiple neuro-psychic and infectious symptoms. Often, the CFS learned from depression.
Chronic fatigue: causes
A unified point of view regarding the cause (or causes) that cause CFS no. The most popular theory of the origin of CFS is a virus, however, due to certain it is installed at the CFS changes in the brain, endocrine system, and even genetic structure (see the Research of William Reeves) it is impossible definitely to say what is the root cause of CFS: viral infection or structural changes in organs and tissues.
Thus, if to systematize existing knowledge, we can identify four main causes of chronic fatigue syndrome:
- genetic. Scientists believe that patients suffering from CFS, it is noted physical abnormalities of specific genes, i.e., their genetic code differs from the code of a normal person;
- virus. It is assumed that dysfunction of organs and systems are run by the virus. It may be Coxsackie virus, Epstein-Barr, herpes simplex, cytomegalovirus. According to this theory, CFS develops from the persistent stimulation of immune cells with viral antigens. Immune cells released cytokines cause an increase in temperature, pain in muscles and joints, chills, and malaise;
- stress. Explains the structural and functional changes in the Central nervous system at the cellular-tissue level in relation to stress, mental injury;
- immune. This pathology of the immune system, infectious and genetic nature.
Predisposing factors of CFS is a strong emotional and intellectual load that prevails over physical activity, unfavorable sanitary-hygienic and ecological conditions, chronic illness (including untreated viral infection).
Westlothiana syndrome chronic fatigue: symptoms
Initial symptoms of emerging chronic fatigue syndrome (because of formed CFS can only speak in hindsight, six months later) are:
- fatigue, attention span, mood swings, irritability, apathy, depression;
- systematic headaches in the absence of any detected pathology;
- inversion of sleep (insomnia at night and drowsiness during the day), making the simultaneous use of hypnotics, and psychostimulants;
- progressive progressive decline in health;
- growing the craving (for psihostimulyatsia day) and alcohol (to relieve mental stimulation before bedtime);
- weight loss (sometimes, when sedentary lifestyle — obesity);
- aching in the joints.
If we talk about the physiological level of manifestation of symptoms, slows the metabolism, and, therefore, the body accumulates more toxins. About the damage to the immune system already mentioned: because of this, the person becomes vulnerable to infectious and viral diseases.
Diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome
There developed a algorithm. All symptoms are divided into two groups: large and small criteria. Large criteria:
- chronic constant (or increasing) fatigue for at least six months, a decrease in physical activity half;
- the established absence of other causes (tumor, psychiatric, autoimmune, endocrine, cardiovascular, neuromuscular, gastrointestinal, hematological, poczesna, liver, etc.) that could cause similar chronic fatigue.
Small criteria are divided in turn into two groups.
The first group of small criteria:
- low-grade fever;
- pain and small (to 2 cm) increased cervical and/or axillary lymph nodes on palpation;
The second group of small criteria:
- General muscle weakness;
- muscle pain;
- disadaptation to physical activity (weakness after physical work does not pass during the day, although in the past this amount of work transferred easily);
- severe headaches (more than usual);
- joint pain not accompanied by swelling or redness;
- nervous disorder (depression, photophobia, impaired memory, confusion);
- sleep disorders (including sleepiness);
- rapid development (in hours) of the above symptoms (criteria).
CFS is diagnosed in the presence of both large and criteria:
- 2 out of 3 small and 6 the first criteria small criteria from the second group;
- 8 small criteria of the second group (if there are no small criteria of the first group).
Treatment of chronic fatigue syndrome
Since causes and mechanism of occurrence of CFS is not fully understood, any universal methods and, especially, clinical treatment protocols do not exist. Therefore, treatment is mainly symptomatic. And, given the diversity of symptoms, the treatment approach needs to be comprehensive:
- the harmonization of rest and physical activity;
- normalization of the diet, add diet therapy fasting days;
- vitamins of group b and ascorbic acid;
- therapeutic exercise, hydrotherapy and massage;
- receiving immunomodulators, immunomodulators and adaptogens;
- pharmacotherapy (chelators, nootropics, in the presence of Allergy — antihistamines).
In this case, good results are folk remedies: chamomile tea, Valerian tincture.
Chronic fatigue syndrome almost always ends with the recovery of the patient or through a properly sized treatment, or spontaneously (of course there are exceptions). But the successful outcome of CFS does not mean the lack of the likelihood of recurrence.
How to live, not to pitomitsa: prevention of chronic fatigue
The “gold standard” of prevention, CFS is a balanced diet, moderate physical and mental activity (“take the burden by yourself…”), meticulous adherence to properly drafted daily routine, avoidance (of course) stressful situations. If one of the terms of the prevention of dropped (stress, forced hard physical work, etc.), you should have a good rest in order to recharge their energy batteries. During any (mental and physical) of things you might want to take a break. If sedentary work, the break should not be “nicotine”: it is better to do a couple of easy gymnastic exercises. A very useful change of impressions: on the weekend it is useful to get out of the city.