Atopic dermatitis, which is often (especially in the circle of inexperienced in medicine average visitors to clinics) is called eczema or atopic eczema, is a fairly common skin disease. What can I say, if it is detected in approximately 10% of children worldwide. Despite the fact that there are adolescent-adult form of this disease, it is reason to call atopic dermatitis “disease of baby face.” To the word, diathesis – another common and more common people in the name of.
The content of the article
The causes of atopic dermatitis
If to speak about concrete causes of atopic dermatitis in children, they to this day remain in the rank of the versions and assumptions. In General, we can talk about the combination of hereditary and some other factors of everyday life that act as the trigger button for this disease.
The period of occurrence
This type of eczema almost always develops within the first 5 years of life, often before the child reaches 1 year. Atopic dermatitis is rarely seen immediately after the birth of a baby: more likely his appearance later, after 6 weeks. Other rashes can take place at any time and go away within a few days or weeks, but atopic dermatitis is here to stay and seriously. Periods of exacerbation may be replaced by clinical “tides”, but this disease has a marked tendency to recurrence.
Rashes caused by atopic dermatitis, an unbearable itch. The child can not control his uncontrollable desire to scratch, which ultimately leads to the logical damage of the skin.
Localization of lesions
In children the rash emerges in the first place, on the face or inner surface of the elbow and knee bends, i.e., at those places which are easy to scratch. In principle, the rash can affect any area of the skin. Sometimes red spots appear only on the skin. Rash on the scalp, feet or ears — the other key to atopic dermatitis. However, it should be borne in mind that similar symptoms are some other diseases (e.g., seborrheic dermatitis).
The appearance of the rash
Atopic dermatitis (photo) on the inner surface of the knee shibamata perhaps the least significant criteria of identification of atopic dermatitis in children: it is very different it can be each individual patient. Total is scratching and dry, scaly skin. Sometimes aggressive-insatiable scratching the skin infection is recorded and then it is covered with a yellow crust or small pustules. Permanent damaging effects on the skin leads to its gradual roughness.
The presence of the family of cases of incidence of atopic dermatitis, asthma or hay fever may be more likely to likening the doctor to diagnosis “atopic dermatitis”.
So, what’s the bottom line? Common symptoms of atopic dermatitis in children are: acute period, swelling, podmokanie skin, the appearance of crusts, shift the acute and subacute stages. In the acute phase of the rash is mainly on the skin folds of the elbow and knee creases and behind the ears.
What causes atopic dermatitis in children? Trigger factors
Atopic dermatitis in a child (photo) First of all, you must understand that atopic dermatitis is not contagious: it is not transmitted from person to person. Atopic skin inflammation is a result of the presence in the skin of the individual a large number of so-called inflammatory cells (inflammatory cell infiltration) with Hyper-reactivity towards stimuli. The task of scientists today is to determine the cause of the hyperreactivity in. Patients with atopic dermatitis, asthma or hay fever are born with an excess number of these cells. And if they will impact any of the following factors, they will not be able to “off”, as do the rest of the cells:
- Dryness of the skin. The main function of this natural protective barrier of our body – protective. We do not pay for skin problems absolutely no attention, until she forced us to do it with his dry (read: vulnerability). Persons with atopic dermatitis is endowed with pathologically dry skin. Other causes of dry skin too frequent washing and disregard of skin moisturizers;
- The irritant. It is any substance the chemical and natural origin, which can cause irritation and dryness of the skin;
- Stress. With regard to children is, by the way, is also important, as they, too, sometimes you have to despair, anger or fear. By the way, atopic dermatitis itself is also a lot of stress;
- Sweating. The majority of patients with atopic dermatitis notice that you break out into hives when they were thrown into a fever. It may be exercise, increased ambient temperature or too warm underwear;
- Infection. Staph infections are quite common in children phenomenon. Other infections that can trigger atopic dermatitis – herpes and fungus (ringworm or athlete’s foot);
- Allergens, i.e. everything that can cause allergic reactions: pollens, animal dander, dust, foods. It is obvious that asthma and hay fever easier to link with allergies because of the rapidity of the clinical signs. With a slowly developing atopic dermatitis is more complicated, but in some cases it also develops under the influence of allergens, such as food.
How to treat atopic dermatitis in children As it is banal, but the treatment of atopic dermatitis should start with a trip to the doctor. About any Internet diagnosis here can be no question: because similar symptoms can occur in a number of serious diseases and wrong treatment can be very expensive. If you try to organize all the means and methods for the treatment of atopic dermatitis in children, you can get the following list:
- Local corticosteroids in the form of creams, ointments, gels, emulsions, etc. (celestoderm, sinaflana, betasalik). Relieving inflammation, is effective in exacerbations of the disease. Only – they cannot be used more than 7-10 days in a row because of higher risk of side effects, which, unfortunately, have these potent agents;
- Combination medicines, which include glucocorticoids, antibacterial and antifungal agents. Apply in the case of accession to allergic inflammation infection;
- Antihistamines (erius, ketotifen, claritin, Telfast). Optimal use of drugs 2nd and 3rd generation, because they are much less sedative effect. On average, the standard course of treatment is about 10 days;
- Derivative pimecrolimus. These modern drugs are used for relief of acute symptoms. Compared with the glucocorticoids have more security (so, at least, claim the manufacturers);
- Sorbents (polyphepan, activated carbon). Used in combination therapy with the aim of detoxification of the body;
- Antiseptics (fukortsin, “green”);
- Mild sedative (persen, glycine, herbal preparations based on Valerian, peony).
These drugs are mainly used during exacerbation of atopic dermatitis. When the disease recedes, the treatment significantly modified: the focus is on vitamin-cosmetics and the correction of concomitant diseases.